Earn a Bachelor of Arts in English
Love reading? Want to become a more effective writer? The English program at Albertus
offers both a major and minor in English, with the further option to concentrate in
Creative Writing or Dramatic Studies.
English majors at Albertus can also pursue teacher certification concurrently through our Education Program. For creative writers, the department offers a five-year MFA in Writing. The English department also offers courses toward a minor in Drama.
The English Department serves the wider college community through its foundational writing classes for all first-year students and its upper division literature classes in General Education. Throughout our programs, the Department emphasizes clear and well-organized writing, persuasive argument, and the attentive reading of literary texts.
What Makes English at Albertus Different?
- Hands-on, experiential learning
- Interdisciplinary perspectives
- Emphasis on collaborative work
- Personally invested professors
- Small class sizes
- Innovative, well-rounded programs
- Resources and opportunities for research
- Lively extracurricular activities
- Campus-wide events
- Service and community engagement
- Active career counseling
- Opportunity-building networks
- Access to internships and professional experiences
The professors in the English program at Albertus are dedicated to their students and to their field. I went to Albertus so that I could become an English teacher; I have never once regretted that decision.
Esther Hartzell, '17
Where Will Your English Degree take You?
Possible career paths with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English include:
A college education isn't about an end goal, but rather gaining the skills you'll need for your professional development. For me, a major in English created who I am today. I gained skills in critical thinking, literature analysis, storytelling, communication, teaching, and even public speaking, all of which I use every day at work.
Annemarie Tompsen, '13
English Masters Programs
Request English Undergraduate Information
The Albertus English Degree Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of English is consonant with the mission of the College, which is to provide solid academic grounding and an education that will enable students after their college years to lead productive and enriched lives.
The Department of English works with every student to improve basic written and oral communication and to instill a knowledge of and critical appreciation for literature in English. The Department strives to foster a spirit of inquiry and a habit of reasoning directed toward the discovery of a system of values. More particularly, the Department assumes a key role in directing the English major to both personal enrichment and a rewarding career. Through successful completion of the English program, students will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of major works of British and American literature
- Demonstrate the means by which meaning is created in literary works
- Demonstrate an aesthetic appreciation of the creative work of others
- Produce consistently lucid, coherent, thoroughly researched papers, convincingly and creatively presented
- Possess the writing and research skills, and the literary knowledge, necessary to flourish in the liberal professions and relevant graduate programs
English majors find that training in their academic discipline enables them to excel in many fields such as: law, publishing, education, civil service, library science, business, and journalism. Moreover, the Department offers students interested in going on to graduate programs in English a baccalaureate curriculum that is balanced, historically comprehensive, and rigorous.