The Meister Eckhart Center for Catholic and Dominican Life
The Meister Eckhart Center for Catholic and Dominican Life engages the community in dialogue by integrating the Dominican values of contemplation and action with the calling to promote a more just and peaceful world. We pursue this mission through lectures, panels, workshops, and community initiatives around issues of contemplation, action, justice, and peace.
What we plant in the soil of contemplation, we will reap in the harvest of action.
One must not always think so much about what one should do, but rather what one should be. Our works do not ennoble us, but we must ennoble our work.
Aims of the Center
- To reflect our Catholic identity through engagement with the Catholic intellectual tradition and Catholic social teaching.
- To bring to life the Dominican pillars of study, prayer, community, and service.
- To promote the preaching of truth and justice through contemplation, word, and action.
- To promote care for the Earth, our common home, and to advance the theological understanding of the interconnectedness of all creation.
- To facilitate the encounter of our tradition with the contemporary world through scholarly reflection and the Dominican practice of disputatio.
- To promote Dominican scholarship and the integration of faith and reason.
- To celebrate the diverse richness of the global Catholic tradition.
- To partner with neighboring institutions and organizations, in pursuit of the common good.