Whom should I contact if there is an emergency, or for information about the academic program or academic support services?

If your son or daughter has a minor illness and is capable of contacting his or her professors, then he or she should do so.  Contact information for professors is available on course syllabi and in the College Campus Directory.

If there is a serious illness, you should contact Ms. Heather Wotton or Associate Dean Edwards. (It is better to contact Associate Dean Edwards if your son or daughter is considering withdrawing for the term.)

Associate Dean Edwards
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
(203) 773-8068

Ms. Heather Wotton
Director of Academic Advisement and Student Success
(203) 773-8558

Where can I find information about academic program requirements, academic rules and regulations, and my son or daughter’s academic progress?

The Albertus Magnus College Traditional Undergraduate Program Catalogue contains information about academic program requirements and academic rules and regulations.  The Catalogue can be accessed online at:

Students also are given a Student Handbook, and access to a variety of online services, which they can reach through a central portal called myAlbertus, which can be accessed on the main page of the College’s website. Resources available through the portal include: course materials, transcripts, email, degree audit (a chart showing students’ progress in completing their requirements for a degree), financial aid information, and tuition and fee information.

Finally, students can access midterm and final course grades through the portal.  (Please note that grades are not mailed home.  They are posted electronically.)

What should I do if my son or daughter is ill or is in an accident and is unable to attend classes?

If your son or daughter has a minor illness and is capable of contacting his or her professors, then he or she should do so. Contact information for professors is available on course syllabi and in the College Campus Directory.

If there is a serious illness, you should contact Ms. Heather Wotton or Associate Dean Edwards. (It is better to contact Associate Dean Edwards if your son or daughter is considering withdrawing for the term.)

What academic support services are available to students?

Every student is assigned an academic advisor. In the first year, they are assigned Ms. Heather Wotton or Dr. Christine Atkins, Director of the Honors Program. Students on Close Advisement also are assigned Prof. Deborah Frattini. Once students have declared a major, they work with the appropriate Department Chair.

The Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence, provides services and advice for students who are struggling academically, including math tutoring, English tutoring, and training in the use of effective study skills.

The Writing Center, housed in the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence, provides peer tutoring in written composition.

eTutoring is available online in a variety of disciplines, including writing, math, accounting, information literacy, statistics, biology, and chemistry.

Staff members in Rosary Hall, the College Library, are available to assist students with research projects and in the development of their information literacy skills. In addition to on-ground resources, the library contains extensive access to full-text journals, periodicals, and books online. These resources can be accessed both on and off campus.

Computer Labs are housed in Aquinas Hall, Rosary Hall, and the Campus Center.  Also, wireless access is available on campus.  To obtain wireless access or to get assistance if technology issues arise, students can contact the ITS help desk at: 203-773-0205.

The Program Director is Dr. Hilda Speicher (; (203) 773-8548. This Office assists students in obtaining internships, practica, service learning and collaborative research opportunities.

Career Services is housed in the Rosary Hall.  The Director, Mr. Patrick Clifford, will assist students in identifying appropriate careers, developing effective cover letters and resumes, and cultivating their interview skills.  The center hosts job fairs, brings recruiters to campus, and provides career counseling.

The Registrar’s Office is housed in Aquinas Hall.  Students can make an appointment with the Registrar to review their transcripts and make certain that they are on track academically.  Forms for registering for courses, adding and dropping courses, requesting transcripts, etc., are available in the office and online.

The Faculty pride themselves on working closely with students to promote their academic success.  Small class sizes facilitate a collaborative and collegial environment.  Faculty members hold regular office hours (five hours a week), are available by appointment, and also can be contacted online through myAlbertus. 

What services are available to students with special needs?

Professor Deborah Frattini, the Coordinator for Academic Services for students with special needs, is available to assist students.  The College strongly encourages students with a documented special need to present the documentation to Professor Frattini.  She will determine the appropriate reasonable accommodations that should be made and will inform faculty members about these accommodations.

Will I receive a grade report for my son or daughter? Will you inform me if my son or daughter is not succeeding academically?

We do not inform parents regarding students’ academic progress.  We are governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which does not allow the release of grades to third parties, including family members.  FERPA does allow release of records without consent to the following:

  • School officials with legitimate educational interest;
  • Other schools to which a student is transferring;
  • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
  • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
  • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
  • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies;
  • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

Students may obtain a release from the Registrar’s Office that will enable them to designate individuals who can request information about their grades.  During the first semester, Ms. Heather Wotton will notify you regarding when midterm grades are available to students online.

What should I do if my son or daughter informs me that he or she is struggling academically?

Encourage your son or daughter to speak with faculty members teaching courses in which he or she is enrolled, and to speak with his or her advisor to determine whether it would be advisable to drop a course or pursue some other option.

Encourage your son or daughter to contact the Academic Dean for the Traditional Undergraduate Program, Associate Dean Edwards (Aquinas Hall, RM 122, 203-773-8068).

Contact Associate Dean Edwards yourself.  Though FERPA applies, it is possible to provide general information and advice and to offer specific suggestions based on the information you supply.

Please do not contact individual faculty members.  They are not at liberty to discuss an individual student’s performance with you.

Review the college’s academic policies and procedures, and contact Associate Dean Edwards in the Office of Academic Affairs if you have any questions so you and your son or daughter can make informed decisions.

What are the most common reasons that students do not succeed?

Some students underestimate the commitment that college involves and over-commit themselves.  To complete college in four years, students must take on average 15 credits (five three-credit courses) a semester.  This means that they spend roughly 15 hours a week in class.  For every hour of class time, students should spend approximately 2.5 hours doing coursework.  This means that a student should budget 52.5 hours per week for academics.  Particularly in their first year, students who do not succeed typically overestimate the work, family, and extra-curricular obligations that they can satisfy while being full-time students.

Unforeseen circumstances arise, and some students fail to make the appropriate adjustments.  They fall behind, think they can catch up, and become overwhelmed.  They then do not explore alternatives, such as withdrawing from course(s) or taking an incomplete.

Some students who are struggling do not seek help.  They do not communicate with their professors or seek tutoring. Some students with special needs do not identify themselves to the College.

Some students view attending college as simply the next step after high school.  They feel they have to go to college, but they do not desire to be in college.  They are unfocused and unmotivated.  (Often, these students do well once they make a connection between their college preparation and their goals in life.)

Are the residence hall rooms good for studying?

Some students study in the residence halls while others find them distracting.  Two of the residence halls have a 24-hour quiet housing agreement.  The Atrium of the Tagliatela Academic Center is a peaceful location selected by many students.  Rosary Library is a very large building with many private rooms which are perfect for solitude and privacy.

What are the criteria for ongoing enrollment and graduation? What must my son or daughter do in order to graduate in four years?

In the broadest terms, it is not enough to attend courses. Students are required to demonstrate a variety of competencies both in their majors and in their general education program in order to graduate.

In addition:

  • Students must successfully meet degree requirements as outlined in the Albertus Magnus College Traditional Undergraduate Catalogue.
  • To graduate, students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
  • To graduate, students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in their chosen major.
  • Students must accumulate 120 credits consisting of credits in required courses, general education, and electives. To successfully earn a degree in four years, students must take an average 15 credits per semester and fulfill all degree requirements.
  • If students fail to make satisfactory academic progress, they initially are placed on academic review and may eventually be academically dismissed. (The criteria for academic review and dismissal are outlined in the College catalogue.)

Do students need a computer on campus?

There are a number of computers on campus in various locations.  There is a computer lab, a cyber-café, and computers available in Rosary Library.  Student may find it helpful and more convenient to have a computer in their residence hall.

Always remember…

We only accept students at Albertus Magnus College whom we believe can succeed, and the overwhelming majority of our students do meet their goals. We look forward to partnering with your sons or daughters and you to make sure that get the most from their college experiences.


Can a student get a single room in the residence halls?

Students requiring special living requirements will be accommodated as best as possible.  There are very few singles which means that not all requests can be granted.  Most resident students, especially freshmen, are assigned a roommate. Sharing one’s room establishes a sense of community.

Do students need a car on campus?

Many students who live on campus do have a car.  On campus parking is available to all full-time day students.  Parking stickers are available in the Student Affairs office.  Mass transportation is available through the Connecticut Transit system.  Schedules are available in the Hubert Campus Center.

How much does it cost to do laundry on campus? 

The washers and dryers located in the residence halls are operated on a pre-paid card swipe system.  Money can be added to the card Monday through Friday by using a machine located in the campus mailroom.   A minimum of $5.00 must be added to the card each time.  Some students do laundry more than others!

How much spending money does a student need each week?

Parents and students should discuss the student’s living habits before he/she comes to campus.  Some student will have work/study jobs on campus.  Others may find jobs in the greater New Haven area.  Some receive a weekly allowance from home.  There are several local banks in the neighborhood.  There is also an ATM in the Hubert Campus Center.

What is the campus alcohol policy?

Albert's Magnus College students who are 21 years of age are allowed to consume alcohol in the privacy of their own room with the door closed or purchase alcohol at a college sanctioned event.  They are not allowed to have under-age guests in their room while alcohol is being consumed.  Those who are under 21 who are found consuming or possessing alcohol, or are in the presence of those doing so illegally, will receive disciplinary action through the college conduct system.

Is there a campus curfew?

There is no set time that students are required to return to their rooms.  Each residence hall does have set times for guest visitation.  Students must register their guests.  No student may have an overnight guest for more than two nights out of seven.  No one under 16 years of age is allowed in the residence halls.

Where do I send packages?

Packages should be sent in the name of your son/daughter to Albertus Magnus College, 700 Prospect Street, New Haven, CT 06511.  You should include his/her campus box number.  Student mailboxes are located in the Hubert Campus Center.  For packages, a note is put into the student’s mailbox indicating that a package has arrived.


Where can students have prescriptions filled?

There are pharmacies and grocery stores nearby that will fill prescriptions.  The campus Health Clinic does not have a pharmacy.

Are students required to have health insurance?

Yes. It is mandatory for all full-time undergraduate students to have health insurance.  If a student already has coverage and does not need the college-sponsored insurance plan, he/she can go online to waive the insurance.  Any student who does not complete the online waiver procedure by the annual deadline date will be automatically enrolled into the college-sponsored plan.

What vaccinations are needed before classes begin?

Students are required to submit a full immunization history and documentation of a physical exam received within the past year before classes begin.  Students must show proof of immunization against measles and rubella.  Resident students are required to show proof of immunization for meningitis. 


What security services are available?

There are multiple campus security guards on duty for 24 hours, seven days a week.   New Haven police officers are present on campus every evening.  The campus is covered by both foot and vehicle patrols.  Student can call security in the evening to receive a foot patrol escort to their on campus destination.  Also available are PALS – personal alarm locaters which students carry on their key rings.  They have a button to push which signals security when someone needs emergency assistance.  The college also provides an emergency communication system which will send message to any telephone numbers and emails provided to it.