Master of Science in Accounting
The Albertus Magnus M.S. in Accounting program is a graduate professional degree designed to provide students with a strong knowledge of accounting principles, which prepares them for a variety of careers in the accounting field. The M.S.A. is a 30-credit program and provides students with the 150 credit hours required by most states for C.P.A. certification. Students also have the option to take courses to prepare for the Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) examination offered by the AICPA.
Accounting Program in the News
Why Study Accounting at Albertus?
Where will this degree take me?
Earn Your Degree With Our Accelerated And Flexible Courses
The Master of Science in Accounting is offered in our new FLEX format.
With the FLEX format, you can choose to take each class in either a blended or online format. Each time you register for a new course, you can choose one of these formats:
- Blended - Classes run for eight weeks with a combination of one on-grounds session at our New Haven campus and one online assignment each week from the comfort of your home or office. Students who choose this option often enjoy the best of "both worlds" as they benefit from in-class discussion with their classmates and professors while maintaining the convenience of working on projects and assignments from home.
- Online - Online or Distance Learning classes run for eight weeks with two online "sessions" each week that you can "attend" from the comfort of your own home or office. All weekly assignments are offered asynchronously, meaning you have the ability to work on them at your own time and pace.
Earning your Master's in accounting at Albertus will give you 30 credits — enough to meet the education requirement for CPA certification.
If your G.P.A. does not meet our requirement, you may be admitted on a conditional basis. Conditional admittance may include additional requirements. Request information online or call 203-773-8505 for details.
Core Curriculum (30 Credits)
Personal Financial Specialist Option (6 Credits):
The AICPA offers a premiere designation for professionals in the financial planning field, Personal Financial Specialist, which can only be used by CPAs who have met the education, experience, and exam requirements. These optional courses are offered for students who want to complete the PFS education requirements while earning their MSA. They will take these two courses instead of two currently required MSA classes
Substituted for two of the above courses in consultation with the Program Director (with the exception of MB 661 and MB 658).
Admission Requirements and Application Process
To be admitted to the program, candidates must possess:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 system.
- Completion of at least 24 undergraduate credits in accounting and 22 undergraduate credits in business.
- Two letters of recommendation from former professors or professional associates.
- Proficiency in the English language, as demonstrated either by a TOEFL score of 575 or better, or successful academic work for at least three years at a college or university in an English-speaking country.
- A written essay of 500-600 words, double-spaced, detailing the applicant’s professional interests, reasons for applying to the program, and educational expectations.
- A completed application form and non-refundable fee of $50.00.
To learn more, please contact Nancy Fallon at firstname.lastname@example.org